Join us Sunday, September 17 for Five Guys Named Moe, the second play in our four-play Chicago theatre trip series. It will be staged in the acclaimed Court Theatre on the University of Chicago Campus.
A lively musical tribute to the hit songs of saxophonist and songwriter Louis Jordan, Five Guys Named Moe introduces Nomax: a broke, newly single guy singing the blues late into the night. Suddenly, five unexpected friends—Big Moe, Four-Eyed Moe, Eat Moe, No Moe, and Little Moe—emerge from his radio to help ease his broken heart. Pioneering musician Louis Jordan’s new approach to jazz paved the way for rock and roll in the 1950s. Five Guys Named Moe is directed by Resident Artist Ron OJ Parson with Associate Director Felicia P. Fields.
A MUSICAL BY CLARKE PETERS
FEATURING LOUIS JORDAN'S GREATEST HITS
ORIGINALLY PRODUCED AT THEATRE ROYAL STRATFORD EAST
DIRECTED BY RON OJ PARSON
WITH ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FELICIA P. FIELDS
AND MUSIC DIRECTOR ABDUL HAMID ROYAL
Preview Audio Clip: Louis Jordan, Five Guys Named Moe (3:04)
Preview Audio Clip: Louis Jordan, Choo Choo Ch Boogie (2:44)
University of ChicagoC OF LOUIS JORDAN!
FIVE GUYS NAMED MOELandscape Architectural Tour
Registration Limit: 28
Registration Deadline: September 5
Please Note: Five Guys Named Moe theater trip bus is shared with Plato members and guests participating in the Frank Lloyd Wright Robie House and Oriental Institute Museum Field Trip. Each trip is allotted 28 seats. (If demand warrants, we may add a second bus.)
You will have two options for lunch. The bus will make two stops.
If you get off at the 53rd street restaurant cluster, you will be paying for your own lunch.
LUNCH OPTION 1 (11:45 AM)
Our first stop will be on 53rd street where you will have your choice of many restaurants within a three block radius See Restaurant Map You will have 1 1/2 hours for lunch.
- Valois Restaurant - 1518 E 53rd St - A counter-service smorgasbord of American comfort food served in a casual, muraled space. Cash only.
- Pizza Capri - 1501 East 53rd Street - Thin-crust pies & Italian sandwiches, wraps, pastas & salads in a casual setting.
- Rajun Cajun - 1459 E. 53rd St - Small neighborhood spot serving Indian fare & Cajun/soul food in a no-frills setting.
- Native Foods Café - 1518 East Harper Court - Chain for creative, Californian-style vegan fare, including mock-meat dishes, ordered at a counter.
- Ja’ Grill Hyde Park – 1510 East Harper Court - Curries, jerks & other Jamaican specialties in an upscale-casual space.
- Cholie’s Pizza - 1601 E 53rd St -Straightforward pizzas & other casual eats served out of a snug bare-bones space.
- Mellow Yellow Restaurant – 1508 East 53rdSt. - Casual spot featuring American fare, crêpes & a full bar in nostalgic '70s wood & brick digs.
- Chant - 1509 E 53rd St - Trendy eatery featuring creative, Asian-inspired global cuisine & a full bar.
- Five Guys - 1456 E 53rd St
- Nandos - 1447 E 53rd St - Afro-Portuguese chain restaurant serving flame-grilled chicken in spicy chili sauce.
- Giordanos - 5311 S Blackstone Ave - Known for deep-dish pizza, this casual chain serves other classic Italian food, plus beer & wine.
- Boston Market - 1424 E 53rd St - Counter-serve chain dishing up American comfort fare such as rotisserie chicken in a simple setting.
- McDonalds - 5200 S Lake Park Ave W
- Roti Modern Mediterranean - 1526 E. 53rd Street - Quick bite, healthy options, hip.
LUNCH OPTION 2 (Noon)
If you choose the family-style lunch at the Nile Restaurant, when you register online, you will:
- Select the entree (See below)
- Prepay separately ($20) by check payable to PLATO
- Mail to
- Robie House Trip Registration
- 21 N. Park St., 7th Floor
- Madison, WI 53715
With Family Style Dining, all three entrees will served in separate bowls that will be brought to the table by the waitstaff. You will be able to sample all three entrees if you like.
Kitka Kabob: A blend of lean ground lamb and beef, parsley and onions, charbroiled, served with sautéed vegetables.
Shish Taouk: Chunks of juicy marinated chicken, charbroiled, served with sautéed vegetables.
Maklouba: Sautéed eggplant, cauliflower, carrots, chick peas, rice, topped with pine nuts and served with homemade yogurt.
Sides: Salad or sautéed vegetables, potatoes or yellow rice
Appetizers: Baba Ghannooj w/pita and Hummos w/pita
ItineraryBear in mind that our boarding bus route is like Madison Metro or any other municipal bus service. Please arrive early at your boarding stop so you don’t miss the bus. When everyone is aboard and seated, we leave. Arrive early and we will all arrive in Chicago on time to begin our adventure.
– Don’t be late. We can wait just 5 minutes at any one location.
– Pack water bottles and snacks for sustenance on the trip.
8:00 AM Bus arrives at Oakwood University Woods to begin boarding.
8:25 AM Arrives at Capitol Lakes
8:40 AM Arrives at East Towne Sears
8:45 AM Departs for Chicago (Or, sooner if everyone is aboard)
11:45 PM Arrive 53rd Street Restaurant Cluster for lunch on your own
12:00 PM Arrive Nile Restaurant for family-style Mediterranean lunch option
1:15 PM Pick up at 53rd Restaurant Cluster for drop off at Smart Art Museum
1:00 PM Short, Easy 10-Minute Walk to the Smart Art Museum (See Walking Map)
1:25 PM Arrive Smart Museum of Art (adjacent to Court Theatre)
2:00 PM Court Theatre doors open
2:30 PM Five Guys Named Moe performance begins
4:30 PM Five Guys Named Moe performance ends and boarding begins
4:45 PM Estimated Departure for Madison
Madison Return Schedule (Estimated)
7:15 PM East Towne Sears
7:35 PM Capitol Lakes
7:55 PM Oakwood University Woods
Non-Member Policy. Members must register their guests. Each PLATO member is entitled to bring one non-member guest per bus trip. Non-member guests pay an additional $15.00 registration fee. PLATO Membership is $60.00/year.
(Members may bring more than one guest. Check with trip organizer near the registration deadline date if seats are available.)
Accessibility Accessibility Policy. On the Van Galder Bus, you must be able to climb steps to board and exit the bus. If you need assistance, we recommend that you bring a friend to give you a hand.
In the Court Theatre, there is step-down handrail support at each row.
Five Guys Named Moe (Musical) Mail-in Registration Forms (including instructions):PLATO Members Form
For further information, contact Five Guys Named Moe (Musical) theater trip organizer, Bob Blitzke, firstname.lastname@example.org and 608-271-7741